Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dad

It's nine years today since Dad died very suddenly from a stroke. We still miss him so much.

As I've been thinking about him I've been struck by the value of the African and Jewish attitude towards ancestors (not that we'll be a slaughtering a goat today - though if we did, the steaks would need to be very rare...). Because despite his absence, he remains actively present. In the first weeks and months after his death, he was never out of my thoughts; it's different now, but he continues to influence the way I see the world, what makes me laugh, how I tackle problems. Although I could have used his physical presence the other day when replacing some broken floor tiles...

He never met my wife or son, but he certainly has been an influencing presence in their lives too. Western Christians particularly are very twitchy about the role of ancestors in Africa, but I can relate to the ongoing presence of this ancestor of mine. And I understand why devout Jews would consistently root themselves in their significant ancestors. Even God identifies himself as 'the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob'.

I do miss him, but am grateful this morning for his presence. I don't think I could manage a Texan, but a Castle tonight would be nice.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike

    Thinking of you today bud. Will join you with that castle.
    Andrew Coles

    ReplyDelete